OK, in my last post, I wrote a recipe for delicious sourdough pancakes and, don’t get me wrong, they are delicious. However, because I have been working on sourdough recipes for the re-publication of Home Made Sourdough, I have had to test a lot of pancake recipes and I developed a recipe that is even better. More eggs make these pancakes better and beating the egg whites and then folding them in makes them even better – super fluffy pancakes! Tip: you can use this to make waffles too if you have a waffle iron.
- 260 g Wheat sourdough starter from the vat in the frifge
- 200 g White wheat or spelt flour
- 60 g Water
- 240 g Milk
- 50 g Sugar
- 2 tbsp Melted butter Lard or vegetable oil
- 4 Eggs Separated
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Maple syrup or jam to serve
- Measure the sourdough starter into a large bowl and return any remaining starter to the refrigerator. Add 100 g of the flour and all the water.
- Stir and cover with plastic wrap, and leave on the counter for around 8 hours.
- Add the remaining flour, the milk, sugar, melted fat, egg yolks, salt and baking powder to the bowl of refreshed starter and stir well to ensure there are no lumps.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to a soft peak. Add the beaten egg white to the main mixture and then fold them in gently.
- Heat a frying pan slowly on medium heat and put it a bit of butter and a bit of oil so that the butter does not burn.
- When it is hot, wipe out the butter with a kitchen town/paper towel.
- Your pan needs to be very hot or the pancakes will stick. However, not too hot or they will burn before they are cooked through. It may take a bit of time and adjusting to get it right.
- Using a ladle or a big spoon, pour in the batter, top it with fruit if you would like to and then fry until holes form on the tops and the edges begin to brown.
- Flip and cook for a good 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Keep them warm while you finish frying them and then serve hot with maple syrup or jam.
- If you want to make waffles, you can! Heat an an electric waffle iron and follow the instructions for making perfect waffles and serve immediately with maple syrup.